Smart and Switchable Glass Explained By ToughGlaze London UK
Looking for smart glass or switchable glass? What is the difference, if any, between a smart glass and switchable glass? Is it different from privacy glass? ToughGlaze, based in London, answer these questions and more.
What is Switchable Smart Glass?
Smart glass or glass known as switchable glass is glazing which light transmission properties are altered when voltage, light or heat is applied.
When the electrical supply is switched on, the liquid crystals inside the glass align and allow light to pass through. When the power is switched off the liquid crystal molecules are positioned randomly and block out any light, becoming opaque (private).
How does smart glass work?
Switchable Smart windows can also be referred to as smart glass, switchable windows or dynamic windows. They use a scientific ‘electrochromism’ process and switch from transparent to opaque when you apply an electrical voltage to them.
The change can be triggered by a range of wall switches, remote controls, movement sensors, light sensors or timers in less than 0.01 seconds. Variations of switchable smart glass can be supplied including; colour tinted, fire rated, double glazed, curved and shaped.
What can Switchable Smart Glass be used for?
Switchable Privacy Glass is a versatile solution for homes and businesses. It can be used for partition screens, windows, roof-lights, doors, security, teller screens and they are even used as quality HD projection screens. The flexibility of smart glass enables architects and designers to continually find new and innovative designs and uses for it.
Switchable Smart glass products can be used in residential and commercial buildings. It really can turn the conventional use of glass on its head and its market growth is expected to continue with many new and innovative uses.
Here of some ideas and uses for Switchable Smart Glass:
- Office Spaces – You can use switchable smart glass as partitions to separate working areas, to create offices or even for your windows so there is no need for blinds or shutters keeping your space light, airy and contemporary looking
- Corporate Spaces – If you are looking for the wow factor for your corporate space then switchable smart glass is for you. Using it to combine your branded space with your brand colours is a great idea
- Partitioning – Switchable smart glass is a fantastic way to partition rooms in your home or office. It could be used to separate your ensuite from your bedroom, your living and dining area when you want more of a cosy feel, it can be used to create meeting rooms or separate offices in your business. Switchable smart glass is an innovative way to make these areas feel luxurious, funky and chic
- Facade / Canopy – If you want an eye-catching canopy that will make your business stand out from the rest then switchable smart glass will do the job
- Balustrades – Switchable smart glass used in balustrades gives a feel of modern luxury in your home or business and you really won’t be disappointed
- Sliding Roofs / Doors – If you want a contemporary, clutter-free look for your home with no need for blinds or shutters then think about switchable smart glass for your roof or doors. It will keep the area full of natural light and when the glass it switched it gives you privacy day or night. It is a great idea for doors leading into your garden, entrance areas or if you have a window that you don’t want anyone seeing through when they walk past
- Healthcare Spaces – Switchable smart glass gives you a clean, light, bright and corporate feel to any healthcare space
- HD Projection Screens – Switchable glass is a great idea and often used as high-quality projection screens, giving you bright colours and a modern feel to your office when the screen isn’t in use
- Marine Spaces – Switchable smart glass is a fantastic addition to any marine space, adding bright and vibrant colours to the natural environment whilst emphasising natures true colours and tones
- Showers and Wetrooms – Using switchable smart glass in a shower or wet room gives the feeling of luxury whilst brightening what is often a dark area with no natural light
- Saunas – Saunas are normally dark with no natural light so using switchable smart glass can really make them stand out from the rest and will impress its users
- Swimming Pools – Using switchable smart glass in a swimming pool will create vibrant colours and a clean and modern feel
- Aquariums – Aquariums have beautiful, bright and colourful fish living in them and switchable smart glass will enhance their natural and vibrant colours and brighten what is often a dark area that is difficult to see anything in
The Toughglaze Journey
ToughGlaze (UK) Ltd was established in 1993 and has grown to be a leader in the glass processing industry. We provide a professional and reliable service to our customers every time and have a clear vision to become the main glass supplier in the UK.
At Toughglass we recognise the need to be different from our competitors and we also understand that just being different isn’t enough. We distinguish ourselves within the industry by staying at the forefront of technological developments, and this, along with our extensive knowledge in the glass processing industry sets us apart from our competitors.
Our Equipment and Facilities
We have heavily invested in our state-of-the-art production equipment and facilities, and are constantly improving the efficiency of our production methods. We focus on 100% quality and have been awarded accreditations for ISO 9001: 2015 with our products complying with BS EN standards as listed on our Kite Mark Licence.
Our processing plant production facility has some of the most advanced glass processing equipment in the world and has grown from 300 to 197,000 sq. ft. in our 24 years of operation.
Our Production Facility can process up to 4,000 pieces of cut glass, 3,000 square metres of toughened glass, 1,500 square metres of laminated glass and 2,000 square metres of double glazed units a day.
Logistics and Distribution
Our in-house logistics and distribution department manages and operates 30 vehicles ranging from HGVs, transits to smaller commercial vans and we offer primary and secondary distribution services using our dedicated network vehicles. Our diverse range of vehicles has the capability to distribute bulk consignments throughout the world meeting large and demanding schedules.
Our Switchable Smart Glass
At ToughGlaze we have formed a strategic partnership with the most advanced LCD engineering laboratory in the world to specifically manufacture and produce the most qualified and reliable Switchable Smart Glass to date. The 3rd generation NPRLC film, combined with our exclusive TG-WR interlayer are treated and assembled by our licensed technicians in our London, UK based clean room facility.
Our Advanced Switchable Smart Glass Features:
- 3rd Generation NPRLC instead of the 2nd generation PDLC
- Produced exclusively with TG-WR interlayer instead of PVB or EVA
- Largest panel size on the market: 1840mm x 4200mm
- Electrical drivers with cellular connectivity for after sales services
- Highest Transparency while lowest angle Haze
If you are looking for Switchable Smart Glass for any use then give us a call on +44 (0) 208 838 4400 and one of our glazing experts will be happy to help and answer any questions you may have.